Impact of smoking on women
- Double the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke (with 4 or fewer cigarettes per day)
- Earlier menopause by 1.5-2 years
- A higher incidence of osteoporosis
- Increased skin ageing and wrinkles
The benefits of quitting
According to Quit Victoria, you will feel the benefits of quitting straight away as your body repairs itself.
Benefits of quitting smoking include:
How do you quit?
There are several methods and aids available to assist with giving up smoking:
- 'Cold turkey' (stopping completely without aids)
- Nicotine gum patches
- Prescribed medication – discuss with your doctor if you are suitable for use of these
- Other – acupuncture, hypnotherapy (may be helpful in some people, however there are limited studies available as to whether there is any scientific evidence of benefit)
You may need several attempts at stopping. It has been shown that success is better with the support of agencies such as those listed in the resource section.
This web page is designed to be informative and educational. It is not intended to provide specific medical advice or replace advice from your health practitioner. The information above is based on current medical knowledge, evidence and practice as at February 2014.