Terms & conditions
The information provided on the What Were We Thinking! (WWWT) blog is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between a parent and their own health professional.
All blog posts and any comments submitted by readers are screened by a qualified Maternal & Child Health Nurse (MCHN) to make sure nothing is inaccurate, misleading or dangerous. Find more information on the experts and parents behind the WWWT! blog here.
All comments on blog posts and the social wall are moderated retrospectively.
Neither Jean Hailes staff, nor the MCHN experts, can provide medical or health advice to anyone commenting on blog posts or the social wall. Read the moderating guidelines for the blog (PDF).
- Content including text, video, images, audio and other material ("Content") published on the WWWT Blog may only be submitted by users who have registered their details with the Jean Hailes website or logged in using a social media account.
- JH will not reveal, disclose, sell, distribute, share or otherwise pass on to any third parties any personal information provided by a user without express permission of the user or unless required to do so by law.
- JH may review, edit, accept or reject any Content submitted to the WWWT Blog, in JH's absolute discretion. Moderation of the WWWT Blog is effected by qualified Child & Family Health Nurses.
- While JH encourages users to question, challenge or offer constructive criticism in relation to Content posted on the WWWT Blog, JH reserves the right to reject, edit or remove any post or comment for any reason.
- Only comments that have been approved and, where necessary, edited by a JH moderator will be made visible on the blog.
- You must not, at any time:
- remove any copyright, trademark, electronic rights management information or other proprietary rights notices contained in or on the WWWT Blog;
- use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application, or similar tool or device to retrieve or index any part of the WWWT Blog;
- collect any information about other users (including usernames and/or email addresses) for any purpose other than the purposes of the WWWT Blog;
- create user accounts by automated means or under false or fraudulent pretences;
- create or transmit unwanted electronic communications such as 'spam' to other users of the WWWT Blog or otherwise interfere with any other user's enjoyment of the WWWT Blog;
- use the WWWT Blog to violate the security of any computer network, crack passwords or security encryption codes or transfer or store illegal material (including that is deemed threatening or obscene);
- use the WWWT Blog to violate, intentionally or unintentionally, any applicable local, state, national or international law; or
- collect or store personal data about other users in connection with any of the above prohibited activities.
Contributions (blog posts and comments)
- Stick to the topic – Content that is inappropriate having regard to the purpose and objectives of WWWT, not relevant to the WWWT program’s aims, or not relevant to the topic of the post in question (including ‘spam’) will be rejected; and posts and comments that stray off-topic may not be posted, or may be edited in any way that JH considers necessary or appropriate.
- Be courteous – You must not submit, and JH will not publish, any Content that is obscene, insulting, provocative, racist, sexist, homophobic, hateful or otherwise offensive, or that contains (or links to sites that contain) offensive language, sexually explicit or pornographic content, personal attacks or intimidation. JH will also not publish any Content that, in JH's opinion, may bring JH, or the WWWT Blog, into disrepute.
- Be fair - You must not submit, and JH will not publish, any Content that is (or is likely to be) defamatory, or that promotes discrimination on the basis of race, age, religion, gender, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation or other grounds protected under Australian equal opportunity legislation.
- Take care of each other – You must not submit, and JH will not publish, Content that, in JH's opinion, creates or may create a risk to the health or safety of any person, including Content that JH considers to be bullying or threatening, constitute psychological or emotional violence, or be coercive, harassing, aggressive or abusive .JH will also not publish Content that constitutes unreasonable demands or undue pressure.
- Keep it legal – You must not submit, and JH will not publish, Content that is posted for any unlawful purpose, encourages illegal activity, that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems, or that violates a legal ownership interest of any other person (including breach of copyright or other intellectual property rights). You also agree not to submit any Content that you have copied from someone else, or that relates to any ongoing legal investigation or ongoing legal proceedings anywhere in the world.
- Keep it short – if you have more than a few lines to write on the topic, please post it on your own blog or social media channel.
- Identify yourself and any relevant professional affiliations – for example, comments by JH staff or partners will be labelled as such. You agree to represent your own views and not to impersonate or falsely represent any person.
- Not use the WWWT Blog for any advertising or self-promotion – Hyperlinks will be allowed if they lead to pages that JH considers helpful and relevant to the topic, but Content posted to the WWWT Blog should not be used to advertise or promote any business, products or services, or to publish keywords, anchor text, sales pitches, affiliate links, or to solicit commerce or customers.
- Be honest – you must not submit, and JH will not publish, Content that is misleading or deceptive, fraudulent, inaccurate, false or otherwise unlawful.
- Respect the privacy of others – you must not submit, and JH will not publish, Content that contains personal information of others without their consent. You should also avoid submitting personal information about yourself that you do not want others to know, or that may otherwise cause you or someone else personal damage if made public.
- You acknowledge that while Content may be screened and edited for technical accuracy, any opinions presented therein are those of the individual bloggers and users, not of JH.
- Where JH has edited any Content, this will be made clear to readers. If JH chooses not to display any Content submitted by a user, or to remove it at a later date, JH will not notify the user who submitted it.
- Users who submit inappropriate comments, or continually resubmit rejected comments, may be blocked from making further submissions. Again, no attempt will be made to contact the users.
- You acknowledge that submitting a comment on a given blog post will ‘subscribe’ the user to that post – the user will then receive email notifications when any subsequent comments are published on that post, unless or until they un-subscribe from the post (opt out).
- You are responsible for keeping your username, password and any other security information secure. You must not disclose your password to anyone. If you do share your password or security information with others, you are responsible for all actions taken in your name on your account.
- JH reserves the right to (and you agree that JH may) suspend your account and/or access to the WWWT Blog at any time and for any reason, in JH's absolute discretion, without notice or liability to you.
While JH may monitor, review, vet, screen edit and validate posted Content in its absolute discretion, it is under no obligation to do so.
If you consider that any Content on the WWWT Blog violates any of these Terms and Conditions, including (without limitation) because it:
- is unlawful, fraudulent, inaccurate, false, misleading or deceptive;
- is libellous or defamatory;
- is abusive, harassing or threatening;
- invades a user's privacy (or the privacy of someone else);
- infringes the intellectual property rights of a user (or someone else); or
- is otherwise offensive or inappropriate for any reason,
On receiving a Complaint, JH will carry out investigations in relation to the Content the subject of the Complaint and take such action that JH determines, in its absolute discretion, to be appropriate. This may include:
- contacting you to discuss your concerns in relation to your Complaint;
- asking you to verify the basis of your Complaint;
- amending or removing the Content the subject of your Complaint; and/or
- suspending or terminating the user account of, and/or access to the WWWT Blog by, the person who posted the Content the subject of your Complaint.
The final decision on what is published on the WWWT Blog remains with JH.
Ownership and licensing of Content
As between you and JH, you retain ownership of the intellectual property rights in your Content. However, you:
- grant to JH, its licensees and assigns, a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, transferable and irrevocable licence (including the right to sublicense) to use, reproduce, modify, communicate to the public, adapt, translate, distribute, publish, create derivative works from and display any Content submitted by you in any media, in connection with the operation and promotion of JH and the WWWT Blog; and
- voluntarily, unconditionally and irrevocably consent to all or any acts or omissions by JH, its licensees and assigns, in relation to Content submitted by you which would, without this consent, otherwise infringe your moral rights in that Content.
You must ensure you have the lawful right (including all necessary licences) to grant this licence to JH.
Disclaimer and limitations
- The WWWT Blog is made available to users on an "as is" and "as available" basis, and JH makes no representation, provides no express warranty or guarantee, and excludes all implied warranties (whether implied by statute or otherwise) about or in relation to:
- the accuracy, quality or reliability of the Content; or
- the suitability or safety of any advice contained in any posted Content or discussed on the WWWT Blog.
- Information posted by healthcare professionals to the WWWT Blog, including recommendations and answers posted in response to user questions, does not constitute a medical consultation or medical advice. To the extent permitted by law, you release JH from any claims that you might otherwise have against JH relating to the WWWT Blog and/or your use of or reliance on any Content or other posts.
- While Content submitted to the WWWT Blog may be reviewed by a JH moderator who is a qualified Child & Family Health Nurse, the WWWT Blog is provided as a public service and for information purposes only; it is not a substitute for consulting, or obtaining independent medical advice from, a qualified healthcare professional. JH cannot provide advice on the circumstances of individuals accessing the WWWT Blog, and individual health advice is not and will not be offered to users or other individuals accessing the WWWT Blog.
- You must not rely on any information or Content published on the WWWT Blog. If you are experiencing emotional distress, or physical/psychological symptoms causing you concern, we encourage you to contact:
- JH does not warrant that any of the functions contained in the WWWT Blog, or a user's access to the WWWT Blog, will be uninterrupted or error free, or that any outage notifications will be made in a timely manner, or at all. It may be necessary to interrupt the services provided on the WWWT Blog in order to upgrade or maintain them, or for other circumstances beyond JH's control. If JH needs to interrupt the availability of the services on the WWWT Blog, it will use its best endeavours to minimise any interruption to the services provided on the WWWT Blog.
- contravene that statute; or
- in the case of services, the cost of supplying the services again or payment of the cost of having the services supplied again; and
- in the case of goods, the cost of replacing the goods, supplying equivalent goods or having the goods repaired, or payment of the cost of replacing the goods, supplying equivalent goods or having the goods repaired.